#Occupy as contemporary utopia: Rebel cities and the importance of the occupation idea for cyberactivism and social movements since 2011
Cyberactivism has been criticized for its non-significant results. Nevertheless, it plays an important role by promoting themes or by pressuring companies and politicians. At 2011, the Occupy Wall Street movement showed that cyberactivism bears relevance, being able to promote physical mobilization. It appears that the idea of occupation is important to bolster themes, causes and claims that circulate online, lending them credibility and visibility. We perceive that some of the occupy movements share certain criticism on the current phase of capitalism. Despite inciting mobilization, these movements seems to be unable to fulfill their goals and maybe they end up leaving the doors opened for different levels of conservatism. Considering this perceptions, we objective to elaborate a list of characteristics of the internet based social movements, understand if there is controversy inside and between them and to confirm or refute the hypothesis that conservatism may rise as an answer to these movements.
Main Research Topics
- Social movements
- Social networks
- Actor-Network Theory
- 2012: Professor of Social Communication, Federal University of Pernambuco, Center for Arts and Communication, Brasil
- 2012: Member of the research group of Communication and Language, Federal University of Pernambuco, Center for Arts and Communication, Brasil
- 2012: Member of the post-graduate program in Social Communication, Federal University of Pernambuco, Center for Arts and Communication, Brasil
- 2010 – 2011: Associate consultant of the Scriptoscope, a content design research and creation group
- 2008 – 2009: Split-site PhD student at Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg
- Figueiredo, C. (2015). Occupy as utopia: An essay on the notion of network and the Estelita Case (paper presentation), AEJMC International Regional Conference, Santiago (Chile).
- Figueiredo, C. (2015). Internaut, User, Interactor, Operator: A study of the terminology of the users of digital media, 6th International Conference on Society and Information Technologies, Orlando (USA).
- Figueiredo, C. (2014). Internet civil landmark in Brazil and media democratization, Radio, TV and Internet week opening panel, Recife (Brazil).
- Figueiredo, C. (2013). University Web Radio of the Federal University of Pernambuco: Reporting an experience, Brazilian Symposium on Information Technology, Recife (Brazil).