Digitisation in German language teaching
The research project has two goals: On the one hand, teaching suggestions will be developed for German lessons that are suitable for reflection on topics from the field of digital communication (e.g. on fake news, the relationship between privacy and the public sphere, WhatsApp communication). On the other hand, a module for teacher training is to be designed that focuses on working with digital language resources. In addition, the pandemic has added another dimension to the research project: Work is now also to be done on the question of how digitalised German lessons are shaped (e.g. via video chats) and how this new communicative practice can be made an object of reflection in the classroom itself.
Main research areas
- Variational linguistics
- Language didactics
- Research on computer-mediated communication
- 2021: Award of the Konrad-Duden-Prize 2021
- since 2002: Full professor of German language, especially contemporary language, at the University of Zurich
- 2012 – 2016: Co-director of the German Seminar, University of Zurich
- 2006 – 2009: Vice-Dean of Teaching at the Faculty of Humanities, University of Zurich
- 2000 – 2002: University lecturer at the Institute for German Language and Literature and its Didactics, Westphalian Wilhelms University Münster
- 1999 – 2000: Research assistant at the Institute for Linguistics/Germanic Studies, University of Stuttgart (substitute university lecturer)
- 1995 – 1999: Lecturer at the Seminar for German Language and its Didactics, University of Cologne (substitute for a university professorship)
- Dürscheid, Christa & Frick, Karina (2016). Schreiben digital: Wie das Internet unsere Alltagskommunikation verändert. Stuttgart: Kröner (= Insights 3).
- Dürscheid, Christa (2016). Introduction to the Linguistics of Writing. With a chapter on typography by Jürgen Spitzmüller. Göttingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht. 5th corrected and updated edition (= UTB 3740).
- Dürscheid, Christa & Schneider, Jan Georg (2019). Standard language and variation. Tübingen: Narr (= narr starter).
- Thurlow, Crispin, Dürscheid, Christa, & Diémoz, Federica (2020). Visualizing Digital Discourse. Interactional, Institutional and Ideological Perspectives. Berlin: de Gruyter Mouton (= Language and Social Life 21).
- Dürscheid, Christa (2020). Making marks in digital writing. In Jannis Androutsopoulos & Florian Busch (eds.), Registers of the Graphic: Variation, interaction and reflection in digital writing (31-51). Berlin & Boston: de Gruyter (Linguistics – Impulses and Tendencies 87).
- Dürscheid, Christa (2020): Writing in Social Media. Stocktaking and Perspectives. In Konstanze Marx, Henning Lobin & Axel Schmidt (eds.): Deutsch in Sozialen Medien – interaktiv, multimodal, vielfältig. Berlin & Boston: de Gruyter (= Yearbook of the Leibniz Institute for the German Language 2019), 35-50.
- All publications at: http://tiny.uzh.ch/QY
Own website at https://www.ds.uzh.ch/p/duerscheid
- 10.11.2020: “Kommunikation auf dem Smartphone”, online lecture at the Kreisvolkshochschule Barnim.