Photojournalism on Twitter. The transformation of social and legal norms.
I am also interested in ethical issues around the digital image, including regarding a renewal of press codes on photojournalistic practice and photo-editorial decisions: So far, press codes hardly consider digital photos in journalism.
- Digital (Visual) Cultures
- Global Media Studies with focus on photojournalism and politics
- Media ethics
- Media sociology
- Image circulation, production and distribution
- from 04/2020: Principal Investigator (PI) “Behind the Digital Image”, Project Management within the Priority Programme “The Digital Image”, German Research Foundation (SPP 2172); Institute for Media Culture and Theatre, University of Cologne
- 10/2019 – 03/2020: Research Fellow at the CAIS, Center for Advanced Internet Studies, Bochum
- 10/2015 – 09/2019: BMBF Research Fellow, PI and Research Fellow at the Martin Buber Society of Fellows in the Humanities and Social Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- 10/2017 – 09/2019: Truman Institute Research Fellow, The Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel
- 2011 – 2016: The Young Academy at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities and the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina (Member)
Lectures and publications
- Runge E. and Vowinckel A. (2019, forthcoming). Israel, Palestine and German Contemporary History. Special Issue Zeithistorische Forschungen/Studies in Contemporary History, 3. https://zeithistorische-forschungen.de/.
- Runge, E. (2019). The Family of Man. Education through Photography, Travelling in Time and Space. Teaching Visual Literacy in Seminars, Artistic Tutorials, and Field Research. In: IMAGE. Interdisciplinary Journal of Image Science, 30: 46-57. bit.ly/2RuCzzn.
- Runge, E. (2018). Image databases, social media and artificial intelligence. In: POP. Culture and Criticism, 12: 108-113. https://mediarep.org/handle/doc/4077.
- Runge, E. (2016). Economics of photography: reflections on the global market of images. In: Media Studies: Reviews, 3: 274-296. doi.org/10.17192/ep2016.3.5979 .
- Runge, E. and Haarkötter, H. (2016). Motor / Travel. Basic knowledge for media practice. Cologne: Herbert von Halem Verlag. https://www.halem-verlag.de/motor-reise/.
- Runge, E. (2014). Negative ethics and photography. On seeing and blindness. In: Henning Ottmann/Stefano Saracino/Peter Seyferth (eds.): Gelassenheit. And Other Attempts at Negative Ethics. Berlin: LIT Verlag, 257 – 280. www.lit-verlag.de/isbn/3-643-12552-1.
- Runge, E. (2012). Glamour of Misery. Ethics, Aesthetics and Social Criticism in Sebastião Salgado and Jeff Wall. Cologne: Böhlau Verlag.